Sources for 8R x 17.5 tires

Started by MSN Member, January 15, 2009, 07:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marinewildcat

Sent: 7/15/2003

I'm looking at a '73 brave, will I be able to readily find the 8R 17.5 X CA tires and how much should I expect to pay for them?

Rick Shaw

Sent: 7/15/2003

marine,
In upstate NY I payed about $150.00 per tire for that size.   I don't know what the "CA" means on yours but I am assuming that it means that they are bias ply tires.   The price that I payed for mine was for radial tires.
Rick

spillihpwr

Sent: 8/4/2003

I replaced my tires about two years ago. I found a couple manufactures. The best is Michellin. I have also heard that UPS trucks use this size of tire.

Dave-Pam1

Sent: 8/5/2003

Hey Marine,

I bought two Yokohama 8r-17.5 tires for the front of my 73 Brave in Little Rock, AR last year and they were $185.00 each mounted and balanced.
They seam to be working fine...

David

Rick Shaw

Sent: 8/6/2003

Marine,
Yokohama tires are very good.   My old winnie had nothing else on it but them.   My first set cost me only $125.00 a piece for them.   The guy only charged my $7.50 a wheel for mounting and balancing.   I never had a problem with those tires.
Rick

Oz

Sent: 8/6/2003

I bought my Winnie with 3 tires being Michelins ($185 ea to replace) and the other three Yokohamas ($133 ea to replace)  The Michelins went bad way before the Yokos did (both had good tread but, the Michelin's dry rotted on the side walls). 
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Beatty1950

Sent: 9/2/2003

Love to find Yokohamas for $133 each.  Just quoted $205 for same tire in Washington State.  Please provide source of your purchase.

Thanks Dave Beatty

enigma960080

2000 Fleetwood Southwind 32V--deceased
2001 National RV Dolphin M-5332

jughead

Sent: 12/2/2003

I paid 500 dollars for a set of 4 tires bias ply. mounted and balanced denman tires ...  made in mexico.. been running them over 1 yr no problems numby

biggrock1

Sent: 4/4/2004

Costco is willing to sell me Bridgestone for $197.00 each balanced and installed

denisondc

Sent: 8/3/2004

Cooper tire co in Ohio. used to make a tire they called Super Highway Service, a 7.50 by 17 inch bias ply tire, but they may have discontinued them. I bought Tornel brand tires,(made in Mexico), 7.50 by 17, in a load range E, about 4 years ago, and would be glad to buy them again. I can only recommend calling various commercial/truck tire dealers until you find one that is willing to get you the tires from whoever the distributor might be. Its not likely they would be stocked at any retailer, and you might not have a choice of brands. The first 4 I bought back in 1991 took a month to arrive, the two Tornels I bought 4 years ago arrived in less than a week. Tires with this low a demand are probably made in small quantities, in a day or two, at some of the smaller vulcanizing plants.
Its likely you can reuse the tube liners, or boots, but new inner tubes would be a good idea. I paid $30 each for four 7.5017 inner tubes about 3 months ago, here in N. Virginia. If the boots are fairly old they can deteriorate to where the sunlight will reach the inner tube via the slot for the valve stem of the tube. Whoever mounts the tires should use a steel washer that goes over the valve stem, keeps the boot from being squeezed up into the slot. I will email you a document that describes how I change my own tires on the the 17 inch split rims, using just hand tools. If you ask me, its easier than laying block.
Also, I have just removed a pair of the tires I got from Cooper Tire Co. from my 72 Winny, after being continously on the vehicle for 13 years and 44,000 miles. They still dont show much weather checking, but they finally got worn down to the tread wear indicators. There are also radial ply tires in this size, but I have found no advantage to the radials - which require an inner tube compatible with use in radial tires. 

enigma960080

Sent: 9/3/2004

Speaking  of tire  sources.....  Someone tried  to "source" my spare tires last night!   Yes, I  have two  slung off the back.  I  figure  the  extra weight  is worth it  since  only one tire store I called  had 8R17.5's in stock and they were bias.  I have the  first one  bolted to the  spare carrier  and the  second one bolted to the  first courtesy of 10 inch 5/8" lag bolts washers and nuts. The  whole works  is/was chained  to the bumper. They managed to cut cut the lock  but  thats as far as they got.  I ran out  today and  got a length of 3/8 High test chain and a VERY large padlock. Their  bolt cutters  will choke on this  setup.

She  will be guarded by my two buddies  tonight  Winchester 12 & Berretta 40!!! 

Moondisc1

Sent: 9/4/2004

I gave $147ea for Yokohamas, and paid $60 to have them mounted (4 of them)
If anyone has or knows anyone that has a 17.5 8 lug wheel for sale please let me know.
I have no spare.

Cooneytoones

Sent: 9/9/2004

http://www.bigotires.com/Default.aspx?Page=Tires&Category=

Big O tires carries a 8R 17.5 and a 8R 19.5 ($129.50) good price, warranty and road hazzard, and they are nation wide, Take Note on larger tires, old time spin (lead weights) are not the way to do it any more. Ask for bead balancing. Cost about 10 $ a tire, and it's worth it. They place a couple of bean bags full of what companies call, bead balancing material inside of tire, ( it is actually ground up tupperware) bags break open, and bead material goes to where it's needed,  you'll have a new balance every drive, because as tires wears, leaded weights either fly off (on larger tires) or create an imbalance, and often rebalancing is nessasary (especially on larger tires) I've been using bead balancing on my bus and drive 150 miles per day and have used it for about 100,000 miles and only rebalance needed is when tire is replaced. Before beads, had bad vibrations after 3 to 5000 miles with weights. And tires wore out about 70,000 I've got 107,000 on the tires now, and should get another 50 to 60 thousand miles before replacment.... and I drive some pretty rough roads.    Timmy

SmallDiscoveries1

Sent: 4/1/2005

I realize this thread is old, but has anyone priced the 17.5's lately? $1004 out the door is the best I can find for 6 of the Bridgestones. Unfortunately I read the dot code wrong on the tires of the coach I bought. I found the receipt for the yokohama's on it dated 1996.

I guess $168 a tire probably is not bad considering the cost's of tires for a sports car.

Slantsixness

Sent: 4/4/2005

I need 7 tires too (at least 6!). The ones at tire rack dot com are still available, but the price is insane with shipping, from arizona to VA. (out of stock in Delaware, or I'd drive up there and get 'em)

I'm finding some interesting things out about the 17.5's.... there are about 10 different ones you can get, and UNFORTUNATELY, the yokohama Y785R 8R17.5's are only rated for 2400-2700lbs each (from yoko's website) in dually application. Do the math.... an average unloaded 20ft winnie is 14400.... too close for comfort! my family plus our stuff make up over 600 pounds. What, me worry? Damn right I do!

I'm figuring it out, it's just going to take more money... i guess.

oh yeah , the weight thing above..... I'm not taking into consideration front and rear weights. If I do, it get's worse still!

Tom
Remembering My 72 D20RG Brave "Smurfbago" The old girl never let me down, and she's still on the road today. quick! get out the Camera... I spotted another junkyard full of Winnies...

SmallDiscoveries1

Sent: 4/4/2005

Mine has the Yokohama's on it now. The only ones I have found have been Bridgestone and Toyo. The Toyo's are about 4 dollars a tire more than the Bridgestones. I plan to just buy 6 and put one of the Yokohama's on as a spare.

The $1004 included mounting, balance, taxes and disposal fees. I need to check with the place I got the quote to see if they will knock off a little if the wheels are already off the coach. The shop I am going to have all the maintenance done at said they can take the wheels off and drop them off to get the new ones mounted.

1978Chieftain

Sent: 4/5/2005

Tom,
You do realize that the original 17.5 tires were load range D with 2455 max capacity up front (single) and 2155 max capacity on the rear (dually).  The tires you mentioned have a capacity way above that.
The chassis rated GVW for most winnies is 10,000 to 13,000.  Typically it is in the 12,000 range.  You had to go up to the RM400/M500/M600 chassis with 19.5" tires to go above 13,000.  They are rated at 14,000 GVW.  If your serious about that 14,400 value, then you are way above the GVW rating for what you have.

Dave

Oz

Sent: 4/5/2005

Had these same Yokos on the WinneBeast.  In fact, they were what were recommended.  Anyone who attended the 1st NECWJ could tell you I was loaded to the max.... 7 people, 4 person cabin tent and all the gear and stuff for 7 days plus towing a heavy double axle trailer with a 18.5' boat with 150 two stroke motor, filled with gear as well.  Drove it 300 miles.  I was definitely running heavy.  If there was going to be a safety issue... that trip would have certainly pushed the tires well beyond the limit if they were only marginal.  They are the correct tire to use.Sent: 4/5/2005 9:48 PM

I had the tires ordered and mounted locally for $133 each.  They came from a supplier in Delaware, although I don't recall the source.

Slantsixness

Sent: 4/6/2005

Damn! I added it up wrong?
I'm probably going to get the Y785R's.... or change completely over to 16's....because they're cheaper.

Sob, Tire Rack's warehouse is in Delaware (one of them) That's probably where your's came from. right now they're out of stock

Remembering My 72 D20RG Brave "Smurfbago" The old girl never let me down, and she's still on the road today. quick! get out the Camera... I spotted another junkyard full of Winnies...

Oz

Hmmm... here's a question about changing from the 17.5s to 16s...

Other than causing the speedometer to read that you going faster than you really are, what other affects might this change have?  Will it increase the pulling power since the motor doesn't have to work as hard to turn the smaller wheels?  What about gas mileage?

Years ago, when I was making my  4x4 truck more useful off-road, the larger tires caused the mileage to drop but, for that particular truck, it seemed that they were better sized for the tranny gearing.  How would this apply to our Winnies?

Slantsixness

Actually, to clear this up, my winnie came with 16.5 split rims. The 8R17.5's and the 16.5's presently on the Winnie are the exact same diameter, although the side wall is an inch wider on the 16.5's..(basically no difference) I have a 16" tire left over from my 1 ton Pickup truck, and I can't remember the actual size, but its like 30", which is the same as the 16.5's and the 17.5's. If you keep the prescribed outer tire diameter, the speedometer will still be correct for the transmission spedometer gear.

All the speedometers are calibrated to the same input RPM to MPH relation on all dodge trucks except the dakota/durango and newer than 1993 pickups.

my only concern is for clearance on the drums and rotors, and the tie rod ends, but I don't think it will be a problem, since they're only a 1/2 inch smaller, and were standard equipment on later Winnie with the M300 chassis... Should fit...

Now, with that said, as soon as I find a set of 16" rims, I'll have the 17.5 rims up for sale. Even though I just got them from Weavebago.

Anybody know any reason they won't work? (these are the 8 lug rims, not the Budd rims)

Tom 

Slantsixness

Sent: 4/7/2005

I'm gonna go peruse some local junkyards for a set of 16's today.
I might even find some other fun stuff, whi knows!
Gave up on the 17.5's.

Tom

enigma960080

Sent: 4/8/2005

I  was  told  that  no other   wheels  would  fit  on  my  80 Chieftain 8 lug  8R17.5 tires... I  was not  brave  enough  to spend the  money  to try...   

Cooneytoones

Sent: 4/9/2005

Been Searching with out too much luck....I got my 8R 19.5 at Big O ($129.00 each installed) plus $10.00 per tire for bean bag balance.... they had a listing for 17.5's, but I can't find it now, I can't even find my 19.5 on their web site....found this if anyone's interested,
in 8R x 16.5 from Firestone

www.tirerack.com/tires/Compare1.jsp?width=8&ratio=0&diameter=16.5&startIndex=0&search=true&pagelen=20&pagenum=1&pagemark=1&RunFlat=All&x=81&y=12

Timmy