Use an RV or House Refrigerator?

Started by bboat101, December 08, 2008, 01:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bboat101

Sent: 1/20/2005 9:25 PM

What are the pros and cons about using a house fridge in your RV? It would certainly save money and you could just use an inverter or generator when on the road.

Any thoughts?
brian

Cooneytoones

Sent: 1/20/2005 10:03 PM

BBoat....There are not any pros only cons......A house hold refer draws more electricity (compressor draws too many amps) and also works off a very different principle.....freon and a compressor, meant to be stationary and not moved around. The juggling of an RV going down the road would blow the fride's motor, compressor, and coolant would not cool. once plugged in...An Rv Fridge works off of very different principles; it's call "Absorbsion" which uses heat instead of a compressor......see article: home.howstuffworks.com/refrigerator5.htm

Lowrider

Sent: 1/21/2005 7:10 AM

Well, the price difference is a pro. How about those small dorm room style refrigerators? Wouldn't they be okay for weekending? Or use it as an icebox until you get where you're going then plug it in. Or would they not stand up to traveling?

I was wondering about this same thing, so glad to see the question asked.

LR

denisondc

Sent: 1/21/2005 7:14 AM

I sort of figured that folks with a house type fridge would only run it while parked, either plugged into the campground or with the generator running.  That way it would stay cool for a few hours of driving, but probably not a 10 hour or more driving day. 
    I think the freezer compartment would not stay frozen for that many hours, even if you could keep youngsters from opening the door again and again.
    If you can find a salvage yard with RVs in it, you might be able to extricate one of those absorption type fridges from a motorhome or trailer, and only need to pay $100 to $300 dollars for it.  The place I dealt with charged $200 if you took it out yourself (bring a hand-truck or a helper) and would let you plug it in to see if it worked on electricity. It took me about an hour to get the fridge out and lugged back over to his shop.   Then it took about 45 minutes of standing around sociallizing with the salvage yard management until I could tell it was -just- beginning to get cool in the freezer compartment. 
    Having that latch to keep the door really shut (and your food from spilling out on sudden turns) is a good feature in a motorhome fridge.   I dont think its even legal on house type refrigerators

Lefty

Sent: 1/21/2005 11:51 AM

I used a house refer. in "Beatrice" without any problems. The genset put out enough juice to run the refer. and the a/c. I never had a compressor blow, or a failure to start cooling. It was at least triple in size of the old one, and since it had a scrape on one side, I was able to get it for $75.00 off.(about $175.00 total) And the scratch didn't show once it was installed. I wouldn't pay a grand for a new ac/dc, propane fridge, nor would I spend $200-300 on a 20+ yr old one at a salvage yard that probably isn't much better than the one I took out. Oh, and fridges produce a slight vacuum when running to keep the door shut tight, so no latch is needed. (unless you are Sob, and regularly launch your rig down boatramps!!) He He!! Lefty
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

Froggy1936

Normal road vibrations pot holes etc would not have much effect on a household refrigerator anymore than the roof A/C unit wich is the same principal The motor/compressor is rubber or spring mounted anyway .  The main purpose of using the absorption refrigerator is the 3 way operation provided  110/propane or 12V  . My Father had an absorption refrigerator in his home for 50yrs ran on natural gas worked just as well after 50 yrs as when new in 1949 Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

talon59

I too find myself in need of a new fridge. I have been leaning towards a residencial unit due to the facts that i'm a weekend warrior, I can save a thousand $ or so, and the army broke me of any desire to go to the boonies over thirty years ago. I am truly appreciative of all the input from you old pro's. Home depot here i come! :)

gary19734

Have both in my rigs for years leave the house one on in the the yard constantly neices and nephews love to camp out in it when they come over on week ends.  Way cheaper to run used to have a seasonal sight payed for my electricity bill was 65.00 dollars a month on camper fridge only 4.50 on small fridge. I just bungee the door shut to the wall when traveling  Gary

OldEdBrady

I've used both.  When we had the Calypso (a pop-up tent trailer) I had one of those small dorm-style fridges.  Worked well when we were camped, but never used it to hold things when we were traveling.  Now, with the Alfabago, we have the RV type which works on AC, DC, or propane.  Helps when we are taking a longer trip, and I can keep everything cold (or even frozen in the freezer) until we get where we're going.  So, my two cents?  Depends on how far you travel, how often, and your needs.

vincewarde

OK, here's my .02 worth:

Home Fridge:

1) Great when you have hookups - much more powerful and efficient
2) May be cheaper
3) Ideal choice if you live in a park full time

But:
1) You have to run generator while on the road to keep things cold
2) 'Dry camping" is not a practical option
3) More noise in normal operation

RV Fridge:

1) Most versatile runs on propane/110v and maybe 12v
2) Quiet in normal operation
3) Ideal for dry camping or traveling on the road.
4) Fits in your existing opening

But:
1) More expensive
2) Does not have as much power to cool

All in all, I will be sticking with gas/electric.

Yet another, very expensive option, is a 12v compressor fridge.  These are used in marine applications.  Not good for dry camping, but solves the travel problem and cools better than gas/electric. 

Oz

I like how you laid that out.  Very simple.  Good show!

:)   :)ThmbUp
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

DonD

Had a 12v compressor unit in a van conversion, like the man said...perfect for traveling.
Don and Mary
2000 TC1000 Bluebird bus conv.

ClydesdaleKevin

If you have the choice and the budget, get an RV 2 way fridge.  Gas when travelling, 120 on shore power.  If its a 3 way, only run it on 12 volts when driving...they suck down a LOT of battery amps!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

lti_57

I have been told, And I think i saw it inferred  here, That you can travel with an RV type refrigerator running as you go down the road is that right?
Got my first trip in the “way back machine “ in 2 weeks and was just wondering
Thanks

JDxeper

Yes run the rv refrig when driving, usually on propane, 12 volt takes a lot of power. and can use a battery quick.
Tumble Bug "Rollin in MO" (JD)

maxximuss

Not to be rude but I think or is it not illegal to have your on board propane tank not shut off while driving? All so can be a fire hazard or chance of explosion if you have a leak while driving or in a accident while the tank is supplying to appliances on board?

If you have a generator you could run that to run the electrical while driving no?
Hm?

Just reminded me I have to get a LPG detector still for mine, just installed a smoke detector recently. Can never be too safe.

OldEdBrady

I haven't seen anything anywhere that says your propane cannot be on while under way.  However, I am personally in knowledge of two rigs (newer ones, I might add) which exploded because they were under way with the propane tanks still on.  If I HAD to have the fridge running while en route, I would DEFINITELY make certain it was with 12V--at least until I got to my destination.

Oz

There were no laws banning use of propane while driving in a couple of the States I drove through up north.  However, some had laws banning use while driving through tunnels.

Personally, I drove with the LP on if it was a long trip, like 6 hours or more.  Otherwise, I'd run the fridge at home until everything was good and cold, turned it off before leaving, then turned it on again once we arrived at our destination.

joanfenn

You could always get one of those koolatron icebox things that plug into the cigarette lighter.  Of course you are limited on what you can put in there but it might work for you.
AC/DC Hybrid Heat pipe  Thermoelectric 1.7 cu ft  Refrigerator
48 L (1.7 Cu. Feet) - Features Heat Pipe Technology!

• Operates on 12 V DC or 110 V AC and uses only 6 amp current at 12 V
  • Great for use in a truck, RV, trailer or boat
  • Heat pipe with Thermoelectric cooling system
  • Whisper Quiet operation
  • Cools by 30°C or 54°F below ambient temperature 
  • Compact flush-back design
  • Equipped with Interior light, adjustable temperature control, and removable shelf
Price:$259.95

SUPER-KOOL AC/DC Refrigerator
                    - Solid State THERMOELECTRIC cooling with unique state-of-art HEAT PIPE technology
                    - FASTER COOLING!
                    - COLDER TEMPERATURES! -
                    - QUIETER OPERATION! -
                    - MORE EFFICIENT HEAT RELEASE!                      - INCLUDES 11OV AC CORD AS WELL AS 12 V DC CORD-
                    - COMPACT, FLUSH-BACK DESIGN! -
                    - EFFICIENT USE OF INTERIOR SPACE! -
                    - ADJUSTABLE TEMPERATURE CONTROL! -
                    - LED INTERIOR LIGHT! -
                    - REMOVABLE SHELF!

lti_57

Ok, good information where i am going is only 2.5 hr away i think.
So i guess i will just use my coolers but it seems like it is not a big deal  to use propane, At least not to me
everyone have a great weekend
Remember our men  and women in uniform and their sacrifice

maxximuss

Have a safe trip.

I did some looking into having on board propane on while driving and in Canada, I don't know about U.S. laws but it is only not allowed to be on in Newfoundland. However I still need to look into B.C. being I live here, seeing a "*" meaning I.C.B.C. Insurance regulations. It's not a B.C. regulation but the Insurance company may have some rule about it.
here is a link to Canada regulation for those who might want it for other information they have on there as well.

http://www.rvda.ca/ProvRVRegs.asp

Oz

Good reference for our Canadian members!

Froggy1936

I do and have been running my fridge on propane wile driving for over 30,000 mi The hardest thing to remember is to turn off the elec switch wile refueling (gasoline) So that there is not a propane ign wile gas fumes are present or any fuel spill that may occur. I turn on a 12V interior light to remember to turn fridge back on  Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

bluebird

Another way is to buy a small residential refrigerator and run it off of an inverter. The smaller fridges I've looked at don't take much juice to run. If my fridge goes out I'll switch over to a 10 cubic ft residential unit and buy a small inverter. My house batteries charge from the alternator so I don't see a problem there. If boondocking, then there may be a problem. It may require a decent battery bank to run one if one does much boondocking.

Alaskan Itasca

My RV came with a Kenmore residential fridge. It was held shut and in place by a ratchet strap. I installed a 2000 watt pure sine wave inverter in the dinette bench over the top of the battery compartment last summer, and ran a cord across the floor over to the fridge. This spring I ran electrical wire back to the bedroom and wired in a separate outlet for the inverter to run the fridge and tv while we drive or dry camp. I routed an extension cord from the outlet into the back bench and around the rig over to the fridge compartment so it's not across the floor. On shore power I just move the plug from the inverter plug 6 inches to the right to the A/C plug. I also installed a couple of angle brackets in the cabinet so it doesn't slide out, and installed a U shaped latch I saw installed on a mobile food truck fridge to keep the door closed and got rid of the strap.

I discovered the shelf for the fridge has actually collapsed and they slapped a piece of plywood on top of the collapsed board and a make shift drawer someone build under the fridge is actually what is holding the whole thing up. Looks like I have new project to do now...

It pulls about 200 watts when it runs and takes about 1kw to start up for about 2 seconds. I can dry camp for about 3 days on two 6 volt batteries if I don't run the lights a bunch or run the heat at night. If the heat runs at night I have to charge the batteries in the day time. I have a 2k Honda generator that does that well. I don't dry camp more than 2-3 days at a time so running the generator in the daytime for a few hours isn't a big deal. I thought about getting a new fridge just because it would be more efficient and I prefer a fridge with a separate freezer. I'd love to get a proper gas fridge but they cost a small fortune.
1978 Itasca 27RT - RIP
1992 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 30E