grey water tank cracked

Started by Jerry, June 01, 2016, 09:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerry

Grey water tank leaking, after inspecting I discovered a 14 inch crack that had been poorly repaired. My question is repair or replace and whats the best way of doing both?
Jerry

BrianB

It might be helpful to have a picture of how/where it's cracked to make an assessment of options for you.
Check out my RV trip planning & prep: http://alaska.boorman.us/

The movie Twister - that research instrument? Yeah, she figured it out.

DaveVA78Chieftain

I always do plastic welding with a 30W soldering iron (stain glass supplies): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9R0cIav_fI

For white colored tanks (e.g fresh water), I use Polyethylene Icemaker tubing as the filler.

For black colored tanks or plumbing pipes, I use scraps of ABS piping as the filler

Always drill a hole at the end of a crack to stop it from continuing to run.
[move][/move]

JerryP

I have used a plastic welder from harbor freight to do repairs, and modifications to various plastic tanks over the years, with great success.
The hardest part of that tends to be finding a like kind material to use as filler.
The rest is easy, just heat it up, and lay in filler, and maybe stir it around a little.
You may have to poke around and find some scrap plastic, or an old red gas can. If you have a plastic supplier in town, you can buy scrap pieces of a similar material.
A lot of tanks use to have the plastic type coded ion the tank somewhere,

Jerry P
89 Winnebago Chieftain 23RC
A work in progress

Jerry

Thanks for the tips, I tried welding with a torch and plastic jug didn't hold to good I will try it with soldering iron and plastic tubing, I am assuming once I find the same type plastic it works good, is this correct?
Jerry

DaveVA78Chieftain

Yes, the filler material has to be the same as the base material.  For a white colored tank you want to use Polyethylene Icemaker tubing as the filler.
[move][/move]

Jerry

Finally got the grey tank repaired, it was actually pretty easy with a soldering iron. I spent more time on cleanup this time and bought some tubing of course rite after I bought some I found about 50 foot I new I had somewhere. I went at it kinda like using a welder on steel and took my time and the crack sealed up nicely not a drop leaked out over the weekend.
Thanks for all the help on this
Jerry

Froggy1936

I found on my 1977 original tanks that repairs held up ok but original material was not strong enough for the weight  of full tanks and kept developing new cracks Even though I had added extra strap support underneath So I replaced both of them (they had to manufacture them when I ordered them )The original material does decay  No further problems  Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

Jerry

Frank thanks for the heads up, hopefully the repair holds for a while so I can get some of the other stuff done. This is one of those old homes in appearance and on paper looks good but then you buy it and start finding all the hidden stuff that makes you wanta pull your hair out or shoot the person you bought it from, but at least it seems to be solid just needs a lot of tlc.
Jerry

legomybago

Quote from: Jerry on June 28, 2016, 02:42 PM
Frank thanks for the heads up, hopefully the repair holds for a while so I can get some of the other stuff done. This is one of those old homes in appearance and on paper looks good but then you buy it and start finding all the hidden stuff that makes you wanta pull your hair out or shoot the person you bought it from, but at least it seems to be solid just needs a lot of tlc.

Have you ever read the PO thread on here??? You should....You could add to it.
http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php/topic,8851.0.html
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy