Wheels: Split Rims, What are They?

Started by The_Handier_Man1, November 27, 2008, 12:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AScottishSon

Sent: 4/2/2004 11:30 AM

Hi.  I just bought a 72 Brave and would like to put new wheels and tires on it. But you guys talk alot about split rims. What exactly are they? I'm new to rv'ing and alittle clueless.

Thanks,  James

Sent: 4/2/2004 12:31 PM

Technically called two piece wheels. They have a detachable rim piece on one side of the wheel. If on a front axle the detachable circular rim piece is on the out-side of the wheel. It is "split' because there is a gap in the circular piece. After deflating the tire and pushing the tire sidewall in, and away from that detachable section, you can lever the rim piece out of a groove that it locks into, part of the main part of the wheel. Once reassembled and inflated, the force of the tire against the split rim piece keeps it locked into the mating groove. This was the common type of heavy truck wheel for 50 years.
If the detachable rim piece, or the wheel, got damaged, or badly rusted, or if it was assembled without care and vigilance, and was not seated into the locking mating groove; there was the danger of the rim piece being spring off as the tire was being inflated. Injuries and fatalities have resulted, including decapitations.
They can be assembled safely, but are not idiot-proof. A damaged or badly rusted wheel should Not be reused. Some tire repair places don’t have any one trained to do the work, and their insurance may not cover doing split rims. I like the split rims because they are original.
One piece wheels must have a dropped center portion of the wheel, where the tire bead can slide down into, while the far side of the tire bead is being pushed on over the wheel rim. Most all one piece wheels allow tubeless tires. Split rims wheels must always have a tube inside the tire, and a tire-liner, or boot as well. It is possible to buy one piece wheels to replace any of the two piece wheels I believe, though the wheels wont be inexpensive, and on the M400 and M500 chassis, you probably also have to change to a different tire size.
Split rim Info on the web at: www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/safety_haz/garages/split_rim.html
and: www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/safety_haz/garages/retainer_rings.html
but my personal favorite is: http://www.ebroadcast.com.au/ecars/Wheels/Split.html
If anyone really wants to be able to demount and remount their own 17 inch tires on the split rims, I have a long rambling document I can email you. I can remount my own tires, fix my own flats, and with hand tools. I prefer a powered air pump though.

Sent: 6/6/2004 3:00 AM

One note that I wanted to add, as a retired trucker (split rims were used extensively before the '80's on heavier trucks).
Split rims are extremely dangerous; if the proper technique is not used when airing up the tire, the lock ring can come off with explosive force -- enough to cause you to lose a limb or worse.  I have seen this happen once, when I worked in a truck stop as a kid -- one of the other mechanics was airing a tire with it flat on the ground with him standing over it when the ring blew off.  He was killed instantly when the ring severed his head -- that is how much force it has!
The majority of commercial tire shops will not work on split rims for safety reasons; the shops at the Travel Centers of America truck stop chain will not, and only certain Petro Travel Center shops will.
The best advice that I can give is to change over to tubeless type rims as soon as possible, for both your own safety and convenience -- it would not do to blow a tire and then have the truck stop refuse to mount the new tire because you have split rims.

John Smith

Sent: 6/6/2004 9:59 AM

Good advice, John, if you need to "recover" from a flat as quickly as possible and get back on the road.

On the other hand, if you have split rims in good shape and aren't going to be in a hurry, it might make more sense to stick with what you have until there's a problem.  Then, you can postpone the expense of new wheels until needed, *if* needed.

The old "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" cliche!

Sent: 6/6/2004 10:31 AM

Being an old Jeep enthusiast the split room/2 piece wheel debate is an old one.

As far as old military Jeeps...there is a distinction between 2 piece wheels and split rims.  They both were designed for ease of tire replacement in the field/ on the road.  The 2 piece Jeep wheel was actuall  a wheel that was bolted together in the center...and came apart in 2 halves....rare to find today.

The split rim is just as rare on the small Jeeps but as a common safety item 2 or three chains with hooks were used to go around the wheel thru the center and hooked to keep the ring from becoming a deadly projectile when not properly seated.

I already have these chains stored in my 73 D22 to change my tires myself.  I'm not even sure i could find a shop to do split rims in my area.

Sent: 6/6/2004 1:58 PM

While it might be hard to find a shop to demount and remount tires on the split rim wheels, it is not too difficult to do the job yourself. I am prepared to demount/remount a tire myself, and to do it along the roadside. I have separated and inspected each of my split rims closely - with a magnifying glass in fact - to ensure they are in good shape. I would regard this as an essential step to doing your own split rims. You need to make yourself a competent repairman ahead of time.
I am now looking for a bargain on a quality manual tire pump. A friend of mine has one, but he is an antique truck collector, and wont part with it. I have the modern version of an antique car tire inflator. You install it in place of one spark plug, and it inflates the tire quickly enough. Its only to get you to a service station, where you can replace the explosive mixture in the tire with just air. 

Sent: 6/6/2004 3:44 PM

It is a common procedure for off road 4x4 vehicles to convert old York  AC compressors into air compressors...add tanks and such to run air tools on the trail....might be a consideration for the RV.